Saturday, May 5, 2007

Melpomene 5k (New PR)

Well I just got back from the Melpomene 5k race in St. Paul along River Road and the banks of the Mississippi. This was a men's only race and the weather was fairly cool and cloudy. My goal for the race was to finish in under 26 minutes. I started in the front of the pack for the first quarter mile until I glanced down and realized I was running at a 6:20 pace which I knew I would never keep up with. I passed a drumline band about half a mile in so the music was an interesting addition. I started to get into the rhythem and ran the first mile in 7:50 and my second mile came clocked at 16:00.

I felt good throughout the race and was somewhere in the middle of the pack. When I got near the end I noticed the clock at 24:50. I knew I had my goal beat but went into a dead sprint and finished at the 25:05 mark which ended up being a 7:57 pace! Set a new PR by over 7 minutes and feel pretty good right now (minus the ice on my shins and knees!) The winner managed to run the race in 14:55 which was ohhh......10 minutes faster than me! I saw him after though and he did not look like he was in good shape! Good times and no more races until my half marathon on June 2nd!

Thanks for everyone you came out to support me and cheer me on it was very much appreciated! Its always nice having people there as you cross the finish line!

No comments: