Sunday, May 4, 2008

Training Updates and 18 miles wicked miles!

Figured I would give everyone a quick update of what training has been like lately. I am still running 3 days a week and don't plan on upping it to 4 days a week anytime soon. I tend to get hurt when running more than 4 days a week. Last week I put in 27 miles culminating in one nasty long run of 18 miles...

It was quite chilly in the morning so I waited until late afternoon to start off on my 18 mile trek. From the onset I was feeling a little rough especially after eating junk at a confirmation a few hours earlier. The air temp was around 54 degrees but wind gusts were up to 30 mph which I did not take into account. Also, I ran from home down Theo Wirth into the Lakes area which was ridiculously hilly. The first 13 miles were absolutely fine but then I hit a wall around mile 14. I was forced to do a .4 mile run followed by a .1 mile walk the rest of the way. It was a slower and HARD 5 miles but I made the run in just under 3 hrs. The reality of the marathon is starting to come into focus. I am on my way but I am never running on a full stomach, into heavy winds, and on a hilly course again. Ouch.

No comments: