Saturday, May 31, 2008

Northern Lakes 30k and 3 Weeks to Go!

It was quite the exciting week in my little world of running. I hit my first 100 mile month and ended up with 120 miles during May! Its exciting that I have been running this much and do not have any major injuries. The IT band is slightly more sore than it has been but I am not too worried since the taper began after the race today. I have a 12 mile, 8 mile and then the marathon.

Today was my longest race yet. It was the Northern Lakes 30k (18.6 miles) in White Bear Lake. The weather was absolutely beautiful and was around 65 degrees and sunny. The race was mostly on the roads without trees so needless to say it got quite warm. I was shooting for around 3 hours which would have been under a 10 minute/mile. The flew during the first 15 miles and hung just under a 9 minute pace and then the heat and direct sun took its toll and I slowed down the last 3 miles. I finished at 2:53:16 well under the 3 hour mark! Right now I am contemplating running a half marathon next week as part of the taper but that is yet to be seen. So far so good and I hit the 400 mile mark on the year which is half way to the goal! Stay tuned pictures to come!
I was never happier to be done with a run then I was in this picture!

No comments: