Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Summary of my Journey so far....

So here is the deal...Many of you know that I am planning on running the Twin Cities Marathon this fall. I have started training and have done fairly well with only a minor injury so far. Earlier this year I weighed myself at an all time high (247.7) and on March 7th started a diet in support of my marathon training. I post online with a bunch of people I don't know but figured it would be good to be accountable with actual people I know if I am starting to slack off at all.

So far the training and weight loss has done well with each other. In the first six weeks I have lost 17.4 lbs (currently at 230.3) and have run a total of 119 miles. I have also put on 11 miles on the eliptical and 23 miles biking. If anyone is not seeing this distances going up and the pounds going down please shoot me a message and tell me to get my ass in gear!

Why I thought of tracking this journey online through myspace? I don't know it sounded like a good idea around mile 8 of 10 this morning. I figured hopefully someone will read this and care just a little bit! It was a very quiet and cool morning to be out running and I even passed a wild turkey in Mendota. The trip took me through Eagan, Lilydale, Mendota and into St. Paul. I have been enjoying the five day weekend though and the shin splints have kept to a minimum lately! Time for some relaxin!

"Most people run a race to see who is fastest. I run a race to see who has the most guts." - Steve Prefontaine

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dan - Congrats on the weight loss and the miles. I just posted on the WW message board. I was in a similar situation as you. I have run four marathons in 3 years and need to lose weight as well. If you don't mind me sharing some experiences...First - YOU MUST HAVE GOOD SHOES with good insoles and support, especially if you are a pronator. You may even need additioanl inserts. This will solve most of your form challenges and shin splints. Second, shin splints result when your leg muscles tire and the "shin muscle" is forced to carry a greater burdern. Proper form and stretching (after a slow 1/2 jog warmup) will help in a big way. Last, what is your training program? Are you with a group and have you set realistic goals for your first marathon? Remember...the goal of every marathon is to complete it injury free and enjoy the run!!

Marc